Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Be Offended If You Must!

I am angry, actually am frequently angry when I see myself or other Christians shackling themselves in political correctness. I get myself in trouble speaking my mind, but that isn't to be confused with the trouble I get when I speak God's.

When did  Christians stop speaking the truth because some people didn't want to hear it?

There have been many times in my life that I have felt hurt by someone speaking truth to me that I didn't want to hear. My perception was off because I was sinning and living with a stubborn heart that didn't want to hear it. I felt insulted. I felt judged, but that didn't mean it wasn't the truth. If everyone around me had just shut up, not said anything or not called me out on my actions it would have been very easy to just keep on down the path I was on.
I have found one thing to be true in my life. When there is an area that I am sinning in, where God is trying to change my heart, I get angry and defensive when that topic comes up. Thankfully I have matured to the point that I can pull back and examine it when those feeling arise. (Most of the time)
Christians need to stop worrying about hurting people's feelings and focus on what God's will is.
It is easy to confuse being politically correct with being kind, but they aren't the same thing. God calls us to be kind and to love one another. That doesn't mean we stop speaking our faith because it may offend, actually the opposite. If you really love people you will share your faith. You will speak up for things that are right and not be afraid to speak against things that are wrong.

An example comes to mind: You're walking in a crowded area and see a woman with her skirt tucked into her undies. There are three things that happen typically, some point and snicker, most notice but don't feel comfortable saying anything, and a few would quietly come and help her. That isn't a perfect example, but sort of works.

The point and laugh crowd: These are those people like the church that pickets at funerals screaming and insulting, Westboro Baptist, I believe. That isn't God's love.

The notice and walk away people: Honestly, this is a lot of Christians. We stand by and do nothing because we don't want to embarrass ourselves or deal with the other person. We know what we should do but don't have the courage to do it.

The people who help: Really, in this example we know that's what we should do. Even though she will be humiliated we know it will save her further pain to tell her so she can fix it, she can assess the situation and correct it.

I know that isn't a perfect analogy.

We shouldn't be afraid of the reaction of people when we speak the truth. The only one that matters is God. The apostles really faced some condemnation for speaking the truth of the gospel. They were persecuted, jailed and killed.
Right now in the USA we still have the right to speak. If we don't start using it, we will lose it. There are many countries that have real persecution for Christians, similar to what happened to the early Christians.
We need to be careful that we are speaking God's word. We need to be prepared, armed properly with the truth so we can face the attacks that will come. We need to pray and listen to God for when it's time to talk and when we are over doing it with our own will. Most importantly we need to be acting with our hearts in the right place. Speak with compassion, not judgment. See people the way God sees them. The only way to do that is to seek God first.
There is nothing about me that is better than or less sinful than anyone else. I am a dirty, rotten and smelly sinner. The only good and righteous parts of me are the parts God has fixed, all the sinful things I have done that he has redeemed. He has and is fixing me and my responsibility is to share that he can do that for anyone.

I'm not going to be quiet about that.




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment